We gather

We gather
to give thanks for my 25 years.

Sunday, June 9, 2024

Let's fill in the blank picture from my last entry

This Sunday, at mass, I was involved in an unnecessary and unfortunate exchange over a simple church practice.  As I reflect on my Sunday, I see how I helped create, even if well intentioned and innocently, a hurtful experience for another, who came for worship, a time when we remember and manifest God's love for all.  I am sorry unreservedly for this and accept my responsibility for creating a confrontation.  

It is time to move on but not to forget, as there is much to learn.  As happens, chaos creates growth, deep and harsh experiences are opportunities for good change.  This encounter, a true encounter, as it so touches me, only supports my last relfection, on how insane our world can be, even if so by accident or through misunderstanding.   Where to now? 

I would favour going to the root causes of today's woes.  I would name them as two-fold.  Our world has become too comfortable and accordingly disconnected, within which truth has become ruled by one's own needs and world view.  I can see here is a dangerous combination, leading to a narrow vison of life, acting agaisnt the common good.  .     

Comfort is a great temptation, facing all of us.  It can make us susceptible to false conceptions about life and our level of need.  It can serve to disconnect us from others and the real world.  One can ask - what is real?  In a world so detemined by a "my truth and my comfort" philosophy, everything becomes relative and absolutes fall by the wayside.  Abolute truth matters and serves to keep our world on a steady course, serving the good of the greater humanity.  

There are absolute truths and they serve a good purpose.  I will say they are few in number, for too many absolutes in life can also be dangerous.  I would name here a few absolutes that act for the sake of a healthy world, enjoyed by all.  

Every human being is unique, holding a basic dignity and worth.  All human beings stand in human solidarity, through sharing in this basic dignity, given to to us by a loving and creating God.  So human rights do exist for all.  With rights go responsibilities to look after our neighbour and creation.  I think this gives the picture.  
Don't get too comfortable.
Stay connected.
Absolute truths do exist.  The world is not ruled bu what I think and need.  

No comments:

Post a Comment