We gather

We gather
to give thanks for my 25 years.

Thursday, August 15, 2024

My Bangkok is a place of spiritual enlightenment

Deutsche Welle is presently showing a further look at the dark side of Thailand.  I do not deny this reality, but I also know and experience another side of here, that which I call "spiritual enlightenment".  It seems to me few acknowledge or care to know about such happenings in My Bangkok.  I ask if any media company would like to do a story on this side of Thailand.  

I suspect not for two reasons.  Firstly, it is not sensational, nor does it offer sex appeal.  Secondly, it does not fit into the general and overused stereotype of Thailand, presented on the international stage.  I have a hunch that the latter is not based on foreign naughtiness.  Rather it is locally based, serving the purposes of some wealthy and powerful interests, for the dark side is a source of industry and huge revenue.  

Back to the local theme of spiritual enlightenment.  For a foreigner here, Bangkok can be a hard place to be grounded in life, for it has its transitory flavour and fanciful nature.  It may seem strange, but only now, after 19 years here, am I finding a solid sense of being grounded in this place I call home.  I find it happening now as, these past months, three good friends of My Bangkok have died.  The last one dying just this week.  As I deal with their loss, I become aware of the great gift of their passing for me.  They tell me that I have been here long enough to experience the full cycle of life - is excitement, its struggle; its exhilaration, its suffering; its joy, its loss.      




Spiritual enlightenment happens within reality, within a context that is beyond the fancy free Bangkok.  It arises in a Bangkok that gives freedom to those who come her way.   It is a freedom that arises from making the usual mistakes in life, that are only highlighted in Bangkok,  or from just taking a breather from a pushed routine, within an exotic and freeing Bangkok.  

My Bangkok can make one stand back and think and pray.  It is a powerful place, unleashing forces for change, change that is good.  God bless all who come her way!   





No comments:

Post a Comment