We gather

We gather
to give thanks for my 25 years.

Sunday, August 4, 2024

The simpler, the better

KISS is an ever guiding principle of my life.  It was taught to us, in our first year at the seminary, by the priest, who had us for logic.  His words of back then remain with me.   
"Gentlemen, if you never remember anything else from this subject, you will always remember this - the KISS Principle: Keep It Simple, Stupid".  


A Catalan restaurant recently discovered in My Bangkok


How true, his words were.  My experience tells me that simple is always best.  I was reminded of this with a wedding, I had, in the past week.  

Three months previously, the future groom appeared unannounced, before me, telling me that he needed a priest for eloping.  My first reaction was to be dismissive, but then I thought, I must listen to this guy.  What I learnt was that he and his fiancee had embarked on a three month sojourn in Southeast Asia, coming from Spain, with the determined aim of getting married here, at the end of their adventure.  I concluded that I could not say No and that I would see where we go with this, giving them every chance.  They were actually well organised, even if presenting in an unconventional way.  I thought - I like unconventional.  

So we celebrated one of the great weddings of my life, as a priest.  It was n a lovely chapel, with just the bride, the groom, the two witnesses and me.  By the way, I got the witnesses as they knew no one here to ask.  At the end of the day, I understood that this couple had a dream for their union and I had helped their dream come true.  What a great privilege!    

As for the wedding reception, it was the bride, the groom and I gathering for lunch at a great Catalonian restaurant, of their choice.  It was a grand and most enjoyable time.  It is so true - simple is best.   

It reminds me of the deeper truth that life is as simple as - We are because God is (Teresa of Avila)  
KISS always!  


No comments:

Post a Comment