We gather

We gather
to give thanks for my 25 years.

Wednesday, September 27, 2023

We do ourselves such a disservice, when driven by our own misconceptions and history of hurts. Do we get that?


Last Sunday's 10am mass at Assumption Cathedral was a special coming together, with its being led by the two, newly ordained priests of Bangkok archdiocese.  I was truly astounded by what these two, young priests shared with us.  One named who we were in one sentence - We are family.  Bravo!  

To be family does not come easily. For this occasion, I was aware of the simple organization that preceded it.  I won't go into it, but the organizing of it highlighted the dysfunctional aspects of belonging to this family.  So what's new?  Yet on the day, all went well and smoothly.  So what's new?    

What made it special was who we are, when we come together.  The goodness of the people, our willingness and openness to be part of something bigger than who we are individually - all played its part to make a Sunday mass, a memorable occasion, that uplifted the spirits of those who partook of the day.  

Yet I know we are so easily overcome by the negative forces in life, the negative experiences of others in our little worlds.  The truth is that we can too easily ruin for ourselves, the simple goodness and enjoyment of life.  There is already enough loss, fear and death in our lives, without our adding to it.    

In this same week, I came across the Henri Nouwen quote, shared here, which gives a needed teaching on approaching life.  Life is too precious to waste.  Along with this Nouwen quote, the same podcast introduced me to a powerful concept for life that comes from Sout Africa.  It is named "ubuntu", meaning " I am because we are".  

So let me not be driven by my narrow world, with its limited understandings and beliefs and its negative preconceptions.  Rather let me be driven bu the unlimited naure of life and its untold possibilities for beauty and goodness.  Ubuntu! 

No comments:

Post a Comment