We gather

We gather
to give thanks for my 25 years.

Thursday, October 26, 2023

A Pauline Paradox

Life is neither a game nor some platform for making political points so as to look good.  Rather it is both precious and a challenge.  It is because it is such a precious gift that it is worth meeting the challenge.  In the midst of life's struggles and strivings, I have become aware that I am caught in a Pauline paradox.  


On one side, I identify the need for self-transformation as I am weak and sinful, which I seldom acknowledge about myself.  Maybe that is because I am just so much out there, criticising and anlysing the world.  On the other side, our world truly does need transformation as so much is going wrong.  Therefore, it does become a focus for critical debate, but don't let this lead to self-indulgent, life enduring discussions.  

What to do, as I feel stuck between these two demarcation lines?  What is the answer to this paradox? 

It lies both within self and out.  The answer is mission – mission to self and to others.  St Teresa of Avila had it right in her approach.  You go within so as to go out.  Life is neither a political campaign nor a self-help trip.  It is an adventure to be lived and shared.  It is a gift from God to all, from which all benefit and in which all participate, encountering the one true God and humanity, through those we meet along the way.  There is so much to savour, savour to the full, both within and out

As I have been recently quoted, life is about "active participation".  It is never a spectator sport,  

No comments:

Post a Comment