We gather

We gather
to give thanks for my 25 years.

Sunday, January 14, 2024

We are the clergy

I have just received a reminder from the local church here - 
"We are the clergy.  We are above the laity." 
I think: "Really? When did we last read Pope Francis on the scourge of clericalism in the church?" 

Then, I harken bak to last Friday, the 12th January, which was the feast day of Blessed Nicholas, a Thai priest, who has been named a martyr in the universal church.  For me, the landmark was that it was 80 years since he died a martyr in a Bangkok prison.  

80 years ago saw a different world and a different Thailand, caught up in the utter chaos of the Second World War.  At that time, the Catholic Church in Thailand knew persecution, for it was wrongly perceived as an agent of the then enemy, the French, a European, colonizing power.  

So Fr Nicholas Bunkerd  was hauled off to prison in January, 1941, having been wrongfully convicted, along with many other Catholics.  There he lasted three years, living under tough conditions, while remaining true to being a priest, through prayer and exercising ministry in teaching and charity. Having been infected with TB and being weakened by excessive blood transfusions, he died a martyr on 12th January, 1944.  

For me, his life message is two-fold. 
1)  Always be true o yourself and your calling.
2)  In the context of our Christian calling, rise up to meet the challenges of life.

Having suffered so much in prison, having ever remained the true priest and kind man, I do not believe that Blessed Nicholas would, in anyway, hold that the clergy were above the laity.  I see it in his fresh approach to life and its presenting tribulations; I see it in his good nature and ever pressing ahead in fulfilling his mission.  I never met the guy, but I look at his face and I see a kind and good hearted man, with a sense of humour.   

All I can say is that the essential and good message for life is too often lost in life's messiness and intrigues.  We too often and unnecessarily do ourselves harm.  Blessed Nicholas, pray for us. 



  

No comments:

Post a Comment