We gather

We gather
to give thanks for my 25 years.

Monday, January 8, 2024

Reach for the Stars

 

Landmark 81, Saigon

My 2024 has started with a bang, with my visiting Ho Chi Minh City, known by the locals as Saigon. I went there presumably to attend a religious profession, but it turned out to be so much more.  Moving out of my comfort zone led to my experiencing many marvels, in such a short time. Life can be full of surprises.  Amazing!  

My plan was to be hosted to a tour of Saigon, organized by my good, Franciscan friend there.  What he organized went beyond all my expectations, for he put me into the hands of incredibly gifted and kind strangers who quickly became friends and companions on the journey.  

These strangers offered me generous hospitality, freely opening up to me, sharing a priceless look into life and what is possible for any of us.  I saw through them a people and a church rich in history, strong in faith and healthy in their approach to life.  They made me part of their life project,  which is both rich and nourishing.  Through them, I came upon a church and its people that energized me, refreshed me and gave me a renewed sense of purpose and direction, for what lay ahead of me, in My Bangkok. 

They showed me the sights - a vibrant city, an active church, the Presidential Palace, the cathedral, the Post Office.  I saw so much more through them. 
       
Following on from my last entry for 2023, I would now say - we enter deeper into the journey of life so that we can reach for the stars.  This is what I learnt from my three days in HCMC.  

No comments:

Post a Comment