We gather

We gather
to give thanks for my 25 years.

Monday, February 19, 2024

Hear the Cry of the Earth

Guess who?

I went to a friend's farm in Buriram last week, for a couple of quiet days, to begin Lent.  I also went with a practical task for my short time there, as I am to present on a key theme of Pope Francis' Laudato Si - "Hear the cry of the earth". I thought how can I hear that cry, when I live at the centre of My big, busy, crowded and noisy Bangkok?  So off I went on the bus, heading upcountry.  Well, what did I hear there? 

Firstly, I was struck by and enjoyed the silence.  This told me that I had to become still to hear the earth's cry.  Coming from the big city and its busyness of life, it takes time to become still and quiet so as to listen.  As I downed the pace of my life, I quickly became aware that I was not setting the conversation.  I surely knew that I had to stop and listen.  

I saw the animals on the farm.  The dogs, the ducks, the geese, the chickens - they all looked so cute.  On the surface, they got on with their business, living in harmony.  In fact, the very opposite was part of the reality as the dogs would slyly attack and kill the other, defenceless animals.  In order to keep the dogs in line and protect the other animals, they were given their own, comfortable house. 

Truth is, while life on the farm is peaceful, it can also be cruel and harsh.  Animals are territorial and fall prey to each other, with the stronger ones in the chain dealing harshly with their weaker brothers and sisters.  So there is ever an undercurrent/  

While all looks still and calm on the farm, the climate is harsh and there is a lot of work to be done.  No matter how hot it may be, there is always a list of chores waiting for one's attention.  When something goes wrong, you don't call in the workmen.  Rather you fix it yourself.  So the realities make you more aware of your dependency and interdependency, on both nature and humanity.  You know your farm and you work with it.  You know the earth and you work with it.  And you know you cannot do it alone. 

Life may seem simpler in the country, but it is not.  It involves hard work, and, to be successful, you work with the earth, not against it.  That is a skill.  You get your hands dirty.  Anything can go wrong at any moment.  The harshness of the climate and the land remind you who is in control.  Not you!

I could see how the land is there not to be tamed or conquered.  It can't be as nature is too strong.  Rather, the land is to be connected with and related with, like dealing with another person.  Show it respect and give it the dignity it deserves.    

In the big city, we make things happen, using money; we take too much for granted.  In the country, you achieve, using your own resources and knowing and respecting nature.   In the big city, there are more barriers or defence mechanisms.  In the country, it is you and the earth, together with those around you.  In the end, that is it.    







No comments:

Post a Comment